My mom found the recipe for White Spaghetti several years ago and, in my opinion, it is the epitome of comfort food. Well, second in line behind grilled cheese and tomato soup.
The original recipe calls for white wine, but when I make it for my family I omit the wine and use additional chicken broth.
- minced garlic
- 2 T flour
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine (or replace with broth for a G-rated recipe)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8oz package cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (fresh is lovely, but dried will work in a pinch)
- 1 package spaghetti noodles [Note: I have made this recipe with several types of pasta - penne, rotini, shells - any pasta will do]
- pre-made meatballs, enough for about 3-5 per person (I like the turkey meatballs available at Costco.)
- In large pot, boil water. Add meatballs and noodles. Cook according to package directions for pasta.
- In medium saucepan add garlic, olive oil and flour. Stir.
- Add wine/broth. Whisk.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add cream cheese in small chunks. Whisk until smooth. Add pepper and parsley.
- Drain cooked noodles and meatballs, add back into large pot and add cream cheese sauce. Mix well.
This meal is nice when served with a green salad and crusty bread. You can also pour the pasta into a casserole dish, cover with foil and freeze for later. [Note: if you freeze the dish, thaw when ready and bake at 350° for 30 min.]